Frequenty Asked Questions
Below are answers to the questions that our Talent & Culture team are asked most frequently by newly hired colleagues preparing for their move to Lake Louise, Alberta. We hope you find this information helpful!
- Where can I buy groceries? What is the closest supermarket?
Banff IGA, Canmore Safeway or Save on Foods, Lake Louise Village Market & Stables K.G.B. (inside the Colleague Services Building).
Offered in Stables K.G.B. are individual fillets of salmon, chicken, ground beef, burgers, etc. Fruit like avocado, lemons, limes and bananas are sold for a minimal cost. There are also basic food items, such as soup, Kraft dinner and pasta.
- What is the local cell phone company?
TELUS / Koodo /The Phone Store, 208 Buffalo Street Banff, AB (403) 762-2337
(Note: there is a TELUS tower in Lake Louise so the signal is the strongest)
- Is there a Bank in Lake Louise?
The closest Banks are in Banff and Canmore. There is an ATM machine on site in the Colleague Services Building as well as two locations within the hotel. Banff: BMO (Bank of Montreal), CIBC. Canmore: BMO, CIBC, TD Bank, Scotiabank, ATB Financial, RBC (Royal Bank of Canada)
- What are the options for Internet in Lake Louise?
Telus: 403-310-2255 (High Speed Internet). You will need the unit number and the unit code. Please refer to following:
- Building 1: Unit #___ 111 Z, Lk Louise Dr,
- Building 2: Unit #___111 Y, Lk Louise Dr,
- Building 3: Unit #___111 X, Lk Louise Dr,
- Building 4: Unit #___111 W, Lk Louise Dr,
- Hector: Unit #___111 H, Lk Louise Dr.
- Fuez: Unit #___111 A, Lk Louise Dr.
- Hasler: Unit #___111 B, Lk Louise Dr.
- Aemmer: Unit #___111 D, Lk Louise Dr.
- Englehart: Unit #___111 C, Lk Louise Dr.
- Vic Manor: Unit #___111 V, Lk Louise Dr.
- Brewster: Unit #___111 B, Lk Louise Dr.
- Do I need to bring pots, pans, cutlery, TV, etc?
Depending on how long the unit has been occupied prior to your arrival, most tenants have already acquired the essentials (TV, microwave, basic cutlery, etc). As well, we have our units equip with the following kitchen items:
- Pots & Frying Pan
- Cutting Boards
- Can Opener
- Knife set
- Measuring Cups
If there is something you cannot live without or would prefer to have your own items, bring them with you. Remember, you are moving into a unit with limited space and storage and you can always stock up on the essentials once you arrive.
- Is parking free? Do I need a Park Pass?
Yes and Yes! As a resident of Banff National Park, you will you entitled to a Park Pass. To obtain this pass, visit the Lake Louise Visitor Centre, next to the Samson Mall, within your first few days of arriving. 403.522-3833
- Hours: May 1 – June 20: 9am – 5pm
- June 21 – Sept. 1: 9am – 7pm
- Sept. 2 – Nov. 3: 9am – 4:30pm
- Nov. 4 – April 30: Thurs – Sun, 9am – 4:30pm
- Can I bring a pet?
Pets of any kind are not permitted in staff accommodation. This includes fish, birds, reptiles, etc.
- Can I have a guest stay with me?
With the permission of your roommate(s), you can invite a guest to stay with you up a maximum of 2 weeks. You simply fill out a “Guest Pass” form and have your roommate(s) sign off with their consent. If your guest is coming with a vehicle, they can park in front of the Colleague Services Building.
- Do we have to eat at the Staff Cafeteria? Can I cook at home instead?
You are welcomed to eat at the Staff Cafeteria 3 times a day if you wish! Colleagues are entitled to one complimentary meal every working day and can purchase additional meals 5 dollars each. However, if you prefer to cook in your unit you can certainly do so.
- How cold does it actually get in Lake Louise?
During the winter months, the temperatures can fluctuate anywhere between -5 C and -30 C. During the summer season, the temperature can fluctuate between 5 C and 25 C (rarely but sometimes up to 30 C!)
- Is there a safe in my room or place to lock my belongings?
- Entry Level Housing (Buildings 1-4). The door to the units automatically locks. However, inside the unit the closet and bedroom doors do not lock. If you would be more comfortable having items locked up, bring an appropriate safe or lock for your suitcase.
– Leader Housing (Hector and Sprucegrove). Tenants are given a key for the bedroom door. The door to the unit must be locked from the outside with the key.
– Manager Units. The door to the units automatically locks.
- Are there laundry facilities on site?
On site laundry facilities are coin-operated, $1.50 for the washers and $1 for the dryers. Machines are located in the Colleague Services Building, throughout residence in the parkade under Engler, the 2nd floor of Englehard, the basement of Victoria Manor, basement of Hector, and upper Building 2. Please ask for directions if you are unsure of the location. A change machine is located in the Colleague Services Building.
- When will I have the rest of my questions answered?
You will attend a 2 day orientation during you first week of employment. This orientation will include presentations on Parks Canada, our Lifestyles Program, Security, Colleague Benefits, etc.